Need to draw finite state machines (Again)

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Thu Apr 19 07:37:16 UTC 2007

Hi!

> Thanks for the responses for my posting on my need to draw finite state
> machines.   For example:
>
>> > I am writing an open source project in Squeak for constructing
>> > finite state machines from regular expressions.  It contains
>> > a large number of algorithms (I am comparing them to determine
>> > the best ones).  To help me debug the FSM minimization algorithms
>> > and for other reasons I want a package that can draw a finite state
>> > machine
>> > given the FSM as input.
>
>> Just use the Graphviz package, available on SM. We use it in Gjallar btw
>> and let it produce gifs (but it can produce lots of formats, including
>>  svg),
> etc.
>
> They have made clear that I have not explained my needs very well so
> allow me to expand further:
>
> I need smalltalk (Squeak) code that when given a directed labeled graph  (
> i.e. a
> finite state machine)  draws the graph nicely on a window pane within a
> running smalltalk image (containing also my application).
[SNIP]

Ok, then I recommend Connectors by Ned Konz - which perhaps someone
already did. I am unsure about its auto layout capabilities (anyone?) but
IIRC it can actually use Graphviz for that (calling graphvis and reading
back coordinates).

And Connectors is very capable in all other areas.

regards, Göran