The OLPC laptop in a Nigerian classroom

Lex Spoon lex at lexspoon.org
Fri Apr 20 18:19:10 UTC 2007

Milan Zimmermann <milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca> writes:
> Giovanni,
>
> Thanks for the link, wonderful pictures. It is exciting times and a priviledge
> to have Squeak on it. I wonder if there is effort to move content/curriculum
> on the laptop, judging from those pictures this school does not have books,
> and it is so easy and virtually free to distribute curriculum/books
> electronically. (I still prefer to sit with a book, but given the alternative
> of no book or book on a laptop I know which I'd take).

Yes, thanks Giovanni.  OLPC is inspiring in general, and the actual
hardware is really cute!!

Milan, IMO the ability to distribute information via these things is
one of the most exciting aspects to me.  The WWW is changing society,
and because of OLPC, these changes should more quickly reach the
countries that participate.  It's especially fascinating to consider
that OLPC countries might well develop Internet-friendly education
systems faster than the developed world.

On this note, is there any groupware around for people who would like
to help out with teaching materials for OLPC countries?  Sort of like
Hands Across the World, but for teaching material?

Lex