Message passing with spoon (was Re: RemoteObjects, which version?)

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 20 18:29:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

I am looking at doing a big Erlang project, but I want to do all the GUI
stuff in Smalltalk/Squeak.  I want the system to be reflective as well, so
the best is if Squeak can talk directly to Erlang via Erlang's own message
passing style.

Can Spoon help with this, or is it expecting Smalltalk objects to be on the
other side?

And once I can send and receive the messages in Squeak then the question
comes up about 'why not just do it all in Squeak?'.  The only two things I
can think of are: (1) speed and (2) Erlang makes sure you don't try to
modify state (since there are potentially thousands of threads and no
locking mechanisms), while in Squeak it would have to be discipline.