Morphic graphics, Displaying fonts & canvases

sig siguctua at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 06:20:07 UTC 2007

On 21/04/07, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> On 20-Apr-07, at 1:15 PM, sig wrote:
>

> > Wow.. a ton of work being done. I didn't forgot, i just didn't knew ;)
>
> No special reason you should know about everything that is going on.
>

> > In a RomePlugin i see that most primitives doing all hard work on VM
> > level, where all plugins do.
> > I dont think that this is the way of doing things.
> >
> Using FFI is fine, especially while you're experimenting. Once you
> know what you want to do it can be very advantageous to use a plugin
> because it is significantly faster at talking to the external code.
> It can also be a convenient way to hide platform differences; take a
> look at the platform specific code for the Ffenestri stuff for RISC
> OS and OSX for an example. Most plugins are really simple to write
> and building them is rarely problematic.
>
> Do whatever works for you; solving your problem is the important
> thing. Extending Ffenestri to give you the window handle ought to be
> trivial and would save you redoing a bunch of stuff.

Well, for this i'll need to encapsulate all OpenGL API into
primitives. If this can improve speed and there is some automated way
to do this - i dont see a reason why dont do this.
I'm not a maniac to make this manually :)

I need API in front of me, because i want all its capabilities being
accessible to Morphs. So Morphs can render themselves in 3D or 2D or
mix both. There will be some rules they should not cross mainly is to
ensure that commands they pass to OpenGL will let other morphs be
drawn correctly.
Imagine a morph which acts as container for others and all what he do
is just removes saturation component from color. Then his child morphs
are shown in grayscale, but other morphs are drawn as usual.