what is the status of the font rendering

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Sun Apr 22 02:33:29 UTC 2007

Andrew Tween wrote:

>>> One problem with storing paths in a class var is what happens when a user
>>> saves
>>>
>>> their image and gives it to someone who is using a different OS, with a
>>> different set of fonts, in different locations. Do they then have to
>>> re-configure, or revert to defaults, before the fonts can be found?
>>>

>> This is a very good point. What is your recommendation for image
>> distribution to users (not developers) to use the fonts on their PC? I
>> don't think it's a good idea to tell them how to go to SqueakMap,
>> install the plugins and then the freetype package. It should just work,
>> as you say.
>>

> Distribute an image that contains the packages, together with a VM that includes
> the plugins.
> Include any required font files in {imageFolder}/Fonts. (Assuming you have a
> license to redistribute those fonts)
> For an example, look at how Sophie is distributed.

Good idea. I'll check it out.

>> For example, let's say you created an image on Linux to distribute. What
>> do you tell windows users on how to use your image? (at this point, I
>> assume Mac users are not an issue because that hasn't been completed, yes?)
>>

> You create an image on Linux, using a VM that has access to the Linux FT2Plugin.
>
> You give that image to a Windows user, using a VM with access to the Windows
> FT2Plugin.
>
> It will just work.

It won't just work since the plugins are not in the standard VM package,
right? My point was that I would expect I would have to distribute the
needed plugins with the VM since (it appears) plugins (like FT2Plugin)
are required to install separately - i.e. they don't come with the
standard VM package that one dnl's from squeak.org. I'd have to do that
for each platform.
I was hoping that there would be a better way ;-)

> Fonts that are missing willl render differently (using Accuny strike font).
> And some fonts might render slightly differently because the FreeType library
> version is different on the two platforms.

that's good to know. thanks.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com