Plan for 3.10 iteration 2

Colin Putney colin at wiresong.ca
Sun Apr 22 19:09:30 UTC 2007

On Apr 22, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

>    1. class browser                 : initially let you choose one of
>                                                    #PackagePaneBrowser
>                                                    #Browser
>                                                    #RefactoringBrowser
>
> #OBSystemBrowserAdaptor
>    2. package pane browser   : opens a browser with title "Package
> Browser"
>    3. Image Browser              : opens a browser with title
> "System Browser"
>    4. Refactoring Browser     : opens a browser with title "RB"
>
> (#Browser and #OBSystemBrowserAdaptor seem to be the same as number
> 3 - Image Browser.)
> IMO the menu entries and the titles shall match. Now it is a little
> bit confusing.
> (And the Refactoring Browser shall have a sound title.)
> Furthermore it would be nice to have a convention for
> capitalisation (e.g. "class browser" versus "Image Browser").
> Thus, the open menu lacks consistency.

*sigh*

Yes, this bit is kind of ugly.

1. is especially ugly, because the mechanism for registering browsers
for use as the default browser insists on displaying the class name
in the menu, rather than letting the registered class decide what it
should be called. It would be really nice to get that fixed. In fact,
Browser and OBSystemBrowserAdaptor are quite different, but the
*look* quite similar when they are first opened.

3. Image browser isn't the most descriptive name. It's a holdover
from the early days of OmniBrowser, where it was useful for
distinguishing between File Browser and Package Browser, which were
also included in OB. Probably the most accurate name would be
Environment Browser, but that's not terribly informative either. I'm
happy to change it if we can come up with something better. I don't
want to just call it "OmniBrowser" since there are lots of browsers
built using the library, and OBSystemBrowser is just one of them.

Colin