[Newbies] string search

Steven Elkins sgelkins at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:00:45 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, subbukk <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 1:00 pm, goran at krampe.se wrote:
> > subbukk <subbukk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > How do I do string searches in Squeak environment? For example, how
> > > do I search which method refers to 'My Squeak'?
> >
> > Select "My Squeak" with mouse and press alt-shift-e.
> This gives me method names containing the string. I am looking for method
> bodies, descriptions or literals which contain this string. I was trying
> to search out class methods based on text in filenames, descriptions or
> balloon help.
>
> Currently, I convert *.sources file to unix format (\n instead of \r. I am
> on Linux),use an editor to dig out strings and work backwards from it.
> There must be an easier way.

I see others helping with keyboard and menu access.  If you want to
hack your own expression, one of these...

   SystemNavigation>>browseMethodsWithLiteral:
   SystemNavigation>>browseMethodsWithSourceString:
   SystemNavigation>>browseMethodsWithString:

...might be a good place to start.  Or one of them might be just what you want.

Steve