[Vm-dev] search order for plugins

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 19:25:07 UTC 2007

On Friday 27 April 2007 8:18 pm, Ian Piumarta wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 11:53 PM, subbukk wrote:
> > There is the command line override to take care of special cases.
>
> Which just sets the same internal variable as is set by
> SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH.
squeakPlugins is set from SQUEAK_PLUGINS and overridden by -plugins, while
SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH is tried after that. I am on svn 1638. Perhaps the code is
still in flux?

> >    libpath = -plugin option if given followed by dirname of argv[0]
>
> There is no guarantee that argv[0] contains anything beyond the word
> 'squeak'.
I am not sure about MAC, but Unix specs require execv() calls to pass
pathnames in argv[0]. Bert pointed out that this could be a link (hard or
sym). But composed properly, vm will not need any link.

A little bit of background behind my suggestions:

On my Kubuntu system, Squeak (v3.7-7) has two launcher scripts - startsqueak
and npsqueakrun - and an annoying dependency on zenity (I use KDE). In
hacking together an unified launcher, I noticed vm startup code used a lot of
logic that were better handled in launcher where portability errors can
easily be fixed. The vm shouldnt have to guess and poke around to find files.
The attached launcher, still a work in progress, works both on console and in
X11, plays nicely with both GNOME and KDE.

Being new to vm code, I could be way off the mark.

Regards .. Subbu