[Vm-dev] search order for plugins

Ian Piumarta piumarta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 20:17:59 UTC 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 12:25 PM, subbukk wrote:

> squeakPlugins is set from SQUEAK_PLUGINS and overridden by -
> plugins, while
> SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH is tried after that. I am on svn 1638. Perhaps
> the code is
> still in flux?

Ahh, sorry for my confusion.  These then should probably be the same
thing and support multiple search locations and replace the initial
'./'.

> I am not sure about MAC, but Unix specs require execv() calls to pass
> pathnames in argv[0].

Please post a ref to the part of the POSIX, SUS, X/Open, or whatever
standard you like, specification that says this.

> On my Kubuntu system

You have a completely different set of issues, tradeoffs, assumptions
and environmental characteristics compared with <insert name of any
non GNU/Linux-based Unix here>.

> and an annoying dependency on zenity (I use KDE).

That's not the fault of the VM, it's the fault of whoever rebuilt and
repackaged it.

I'll combine the plugin stuff and change the plugin search behaviour
to be more rational.  If your Linux launcher ever ends up needing
essential platform VM support changes that do not adversely affect
non-Linux Unix platforms, or you find some platform support that can
be eliminated for every species of Unix equally, then let me know.

Cheers,
Ian