Apple Video System

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Sat Apr 28 17:16:56 UTC 2007

Tim Johnson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Was there ever code in the Mac OS 8/9 days to handle the Apple Video
> System video input hardware often included on Beige PowerMacs such as
> the 6500/8600/Beige G3?  I'm just looking to grab a frame as a Form.  Or
> would this be a job for the OSAPlugin?

I used to have code that did that. I don't know whether I can dig it out
(definitely can't this week, I'm off to Toronto for the Smalltalk
Solutions conference in an hour) but it's not hard to do -- use FFI to
make calls to Quicktime routines.

I never tried it with Apple video hardware (my beige G3 doesn't have
that option) but the same code worked through a higher-end video input
PCI card system and a FireWire webcam. They used a uniform Quicktime
interface to software, so I imagine the Apple hardware probably did as well.

-Martin