[Help] What do people mean when they talk of "overrides"

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 29 00:13:28 UTC 2007

[Help] What do people mean when they talk of
"overrides"

I know this sounds almost like a newbie question. But
I have an important reason for asking.

When I first came on board "overide" was used in the
context of inheritence when a subclass reimplementied
a method it would otherwise have inherited.

Now in the context of packages and Monticello it seems
to mean something quite different. And has come in the
context of its new meaning to have become "evil" or at
least undesirable.

As far as I can make out in the latter context it
means one package overiding a Class>>method of another
package. In otherwords breaking the critical
assumption of packages that each Class>>method appear
in one and only one package.

I don't have great confidence that I have this
completely correct.

So can someone clarify the distinction between the two
meanings? And maybe suggest a different way of
expressing one of them to reduce confusion?