[Help] What do people mean when they talk of "overrides"

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Sun Apr 29 05:46:20 UTC 2007

Jerome Peace wrote:
> [Help] What do people mean when they talk of
> "overrides"

[...]

I haven't been following the packaging discussions on the Squeak list,
but it sounds like you've got it pretty much correct. In VisualWorks, at
least (where I've been spending more time lately) "override" is used in
both meanings. And in the packaging context, it does mean that a
definition for the same class or method appears in more than one
package, with one package "winning" and being said to "override" the
other definition(s).

It would be better to have different terms for these two concepts.

I won't deny that package overrides are somewhat evil. But they are very
very handy -- there are useful things that almost cannot be done without
them. Defining a good model of override behavior is a first step.

Regards,

-Martin