[ANN] Kernel Image - independent MinimalMorphic and better granularity

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Apr 29 17:10:28 UTC 2007

As earlier noted the mac carbon vm won't open a window until
something schedules a
		(127 primitiveShowDisplayRect)

also if  defer display updates was set
		(126 primitiveDeferDisplayUpdates)

then the window would't be opened because we've asked to defer screen
updates.

If no one gets around to doing the proper  prim call you won't get a
window. Also since the call is of the form
displayBitsOf: aForm Left: l Top: t Right: r Bottom: b
likely you've noted you'll get a dialog box on a black screen because
something has just asked to
draw the dialog box, however nothing yet has asked to draw the entire
screen.

A possible fix would be doing a fullDisplayUpdate early on in the
image startup process, the downside is
that on slow machine you'll get a window up that you cannot interact
with until perhaps many seconds have passed.

In 3.8.17bx I altered this so that if you are using Ffenestri you can
configure the VM not to open a
window until  you make the Ffenestri call to create a window.

On Apr 28, 2007, at 11:32 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> even on the Linux VM some problems with display refreshing are present
> but aren't so deadly as in case of Mac VM. I'll try to look at it. Has
> someone any advice?
>
> -- Pavel
===