Any reason for assigning block parameter in inject:into:

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Apr 30 07:08:14 UTC 2007

Hello Colin,

CP> Interesting. As far as I can tell, you're the only poster in this
CP> thread that thinks assigning to a parameter name implies that the
CP> parameter was passed by reference. Lukas was just complaining that
CP> parameter slots are read-only, and giving examples of cases where it
CP> would be nice to be able to write to them. I occasionally feel this
CP> way too - making parameters different from other temps feels
CP> arbitrarily inconsistent.

in LISP I do this regularly. A parameter usually being a list which in
my function needs some preprocessing (e.g. removing collinear adjacent line
segments) but still has the same meaning after the preprocessing.

Funny thing is I never came across this in my Squeak programming.

This makes me wonder what will happen, when I start complementing my
LISP work (= bread and butter) with Squeak.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net