converting arrow to ':=' for assignment in squeak 3.9

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 15:02:57 UTC 2007

I am currently converting my squeak project from Squeak 3.8 to Squeak 3.9.
(Thanks by the way to the people who helped me installSqueak 3.9 in Linux.
Note that commands  'man squeak'  and  'man inisqueak'
still reports the existence of a  command 'inisqueak'
even though the command is not to be found.)

My understanding was that as of 3.9  Squeak no longer supports use of the
arrow
for the assignment operator and that I must use ':='.  :-(
I thus expected that all my arrows would be converted to  ':=' upon fileIn.
But this doesn't happen.  Upon investigation I found the the arrow operator
still in use in the 3.9 code though it is now displayed as an underscore
(which
after all is what is is).

Can someone explain to me clearly the  status of the underscore
character for Squeak 3.9 and beyond?

Can someone explain to me how to convert my underscores to  ':=' or
must I write a sed script to do this?

Note that I will use the arrow until I am forced to convert to ':='.

Thanks

Ralph Boland

P.S.  I am running Squeak3.9  on Ubuntu 6.10 Linux on a PC.