[ANN] FreeType Plus release

Andrew Tween amtween at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 30 16:06:10 UTC 2007

HI Damien,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Pollet" <damien.pollet at gmail.com>
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release

> On 30/04/07, Andrew Tween <amtween at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you see any new fonts when you set, for example, the List font from the
> > World, Appearance, System fonts... menu?
>
> Speaking of which, I do see more fonts but not all those I have
> installed. I didn't check but probably the plugin doesn't look in all
> paths, or it only detects TTF fonts and not Type 1 or OpenType ones ?

Can you give an example of a font that is missing?
If you could send the font file to me privately, that would be great.

> I'm on Mac and the plugin does work most of the time, I get very nice
> font display, except I think when the changed BitBlt is needed (with
> colored fonts probably) and the text morph becomes a big red rectangle
> :)

It should work ok without the BitBltPlugin. There is a bug somewhere there. Do
you get a debugger at all? I am wondering what the error is that has caused the
TextMorph to stop drawing.

> Also the contents of the menu are not always the same, not in the same
> order, or paginated differently (in the appearance > system fonts
> menus).

They should be in alphabetical order.
And when you change a system font it should show you the currently selected font
in blue. So it will 'jump' to the page that contains that font.
If you are seeing something different, then a screenshot would be helpful.
Thanks.

> Finally the point sizes are not consistent with the ones in Cocoa
> apps. An 8pt font in Squeak looks like its 10pt version in Cocoa.

I believe that Mac uses 72 dpi, whereas the default in Squeak is 96dpi.
Try changing Squeak's setting to 72 and see if the font sizes then match.
You can do this by evaluating...
    TextStyle pixelsPerInch: 72.0

Cheers,
Andy