[Vm-dev] search order for plugins

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Apr 30 16:47:35 UTC 2007

Ok, as mentioned I had in the macintosh carbon vm a setting where we
don't search everywhere for a plugin, only say the SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH .

Then for example if we look for the built-in LargeIntegers plugin  we
only look in SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH (one lookup) before using the
internal version.
That avoids hunting in 80 *+/-* other places

On Apr 30, 2007, at 9:17 AM, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2007, at 3:08 AM, subbukk wrote:
>
>> For scripts, it does pathname expansion, opens the file to detect
>> shebang
>> interpreter and then passes the fullpath as $0 to the interp.
>> Therefore, $0
>> in a shell script will contain the full pathname.
>
> I've tried this on many different shells and it appears to be
> reliable only if there are no dirnames in the command.  Typing a
> relative path to the script breaks it.  However, it's nothing that
> a call to realpath() can't cure so here's what I propose to do,
> unless someone else can think of a reason not to:
>
> 1. Remove ./ from the list of places searched.
> 2. Merge SQUEAK_PLUGINS and SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH into one.
> 3. Fix any relative paths in SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH via realpath().
> 4. Make SQUEAK_PLUGIN_PATH be the first place searched.
>
> This would give you what you're asking for (use the -plugins
> option) with the smallest change to the behaviour of the binary.
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

===