converting arrow to ':=' for assignment in squeak 3.9

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 20:35:37 UTC 2007

2007/4/30, Ralph Boland <rpboland at gmail.com>:
> I am currently converting my squeak project from Squeak 3.8 to Squeak 3.9.
> (Thanks by the way to the people who helped me installSqueak 3.9 in Linux.
> Note that commands  'man squeak'  and  'man inisqueak'
> still reports the existence of a  command 'inisqueak'
> even though the command is not to be found.)
>
> My understanding was that as of 3.9  Squeak no longer supports use of the
> arrow
> for the assignment operator and that I must use ':='.  :-(
> I thus expected that all my arrows would be converted to  ':=' upon fileIn.
> But this doesn't happen.  Upon investigation I found the the arrow operator
> still in use in the 3.9 code though it is now displayed as an underscore
> (which
> after all is what is is).
>
> Can someone explain to me clearly the  status of the underscore
> character for Squeak 3.9 and beyond?
>
> Can someone explain to me how to convert my underscores to  ':=' or
> must I write a sed script to do this?
>
> Note that I will use the arrow until I am forced to convert to ':='.

Squeak 3.9 still supports _ for assignments, it just prints it as _
and not as an arrow (which confuses almost every newbie).

Automatic _ to := is not that simple, not every _ is an assignment and
there are some live methods, which you can not just change. There is a
script for this which handles most cases.

Cheers
Philippe