About pushBack:

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 14:27:14 UTC 2007

2007/8/2, Michael Rueger <michael at impara.de>:
> Damien Cassou wrote:
>
> > So? I don't understand your answer. In Squeak 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10, there
> > is no other implementor of #pushBack nor is there any sender but
> > XMLTokeniser.
>
> Well, if you actually had cared to look you'll would have seen that it
> was in 3.8, but Goran's SocketStream which came in in 3.8.1 and 3.9 it
> is missing.

Ok, right. I tried on 3.8.1.

> >> It's used when parsing and resolving entity definitions.
> >
> > Can you put a 'self halt' on XMLTokeniser>>pushBack: and see if this
> > method is ever called? I can't find any sender.
>
> There are three senders of pushBack: in XMLTokeniser.

Can you tell us which ones? I just found one and it does not seem to
send #pushBack: to XMLTokeniser but to Stream.

> And I sincerely hope that you are not cleaning up the Stream hierarchy
> in a way so that the rest of the community has then to struggle to make
> their stuff work again with the shiny new cleaned up hierarchy.

If this was the case, do you think we will bother asking the mailing
list? What we are doing is:

- implementing a completely new Stream hierarchy which can work along
with the current one. It's named Nile and there has been some
announcements on this list about it.
- implementing a lot of unit tests for the current Squeak hierarchy and Nile.
- slowly studying all of the methods of the Stream hierarchy to find
which one are useful, which one are buggy...
- writing fixes to improve the current hierarchy (see the 3.10 mailing
list archive and bugs.squeak.org for all the report I did on that
hierarchy).

Stéphane and I are working hard to improve the current hierarchy and
make Nile something worth to use.

--
Damien Cassou