[SqueakSource] SSFilesystem woes

Michael Rueger michael at impara.de
Fri Aug 3 07:25:52 UTC 2007

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> Question: Is anyone using alternative storage mechanisms (lightweight &
>> fast perhaps)? If so, what do you use and how does it work out?
>> Generally speaking, what *do* people use for Squeaksource storage given
>> that SSFilesystem is generally quite unreliable?
>
> Are you on the latest version?

would have been my question too. Bert did some work on the storage to
ensure this stuff doesn't happen, adding auto recover if a data file is
broken etc.

> www.squeaksource.com saves the image every hour. For that amount of
> objects ReferenceStreams simply don't work anymore. We host about
> 30'000 versions with more than 2 GB of data.

After poking him long enough ;-) Bert also did a Magma backend, but we
never got around to try it out on a server. OK, we chickened out to use
it on a production server ;-)

Isn't it time we add a real database backend to squeak source? Saving
the image isn't a good solution either, one disk full or similar
incident and there goes your entire database.

What if all people with real production level usage pitch in a few bucks
and we got someone to write something using Glorp and postgres? Or at
least test the magma backend a copy of the squeaksource or sophie
repository?

Michael