sending text messages in and out of squeak from another application

Enno Schwass onkelenno at mac.com
Sun Aug 5 05:33:15 UTC 2007

Hi

>>> Thanks. I found something named OSProcess, but from the
>>> documentation, I can't tell if it i s actualy workign on a Mac,
>>> or on any other OS for that matter. Nor can I figure out how to
>>> download it if need be since the latest version is listed as
>>> 4.2.2 while the SqueakMap Package Loader only lists 4.0.1, which
>>> won't load anyway due to some kind of error.
>>
>> The 3.8.18beta1U mac carbon VM in the 3.9 distribution folder now
>> has the OSProcess plugin included.
>> You just need the latest smalltalk software to use. The
>> instructions should tell you "hopefully" how to quickly test it to
>> see if it works for you.
> Thanks very much.

I myself had problems to install CommandShell via UniverseBrowser.
What I did to get it working on my Powerbook was:

I take the latest squeak-dev image, then install OSProcess via
UniverseBrowser, then download

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/uploads/1914/CommandShellV3-0-5-dtl.sar

and install it via FileList (load)

open a workspace and do Alt-p on

OSProcess thisOSProcess waitForCommandOutput: '/bin/ls'

Everything okay?
Enno