[Packages] Split-Join in development universe etc

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 17:22:44 UTC 2007

Ok, thanks for you answers (comments below)

On 8/7/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> yes thats the one.

Cool, I like that one.

Because those methods are in a change set with discussion etc. managed
> mantis. Loaded as per
>
> Installer mantis ensureFix: 4874.

Wouldn't it be best to get this fix loaded into the Montecello repository as
a proper change, so that the Universe just has to point at the new version?

Personally I see Monticello as a change repository like CVS, SVN, etc. (but
better), and Universes as the "apt-get" system debian has.  I don't think
the apt-get system automatically picks anything up, it only gets what has
been configured for the set it is working on (e.g. Stable, Unstable, etc.).
Now those sets may be programatically updated, but the apt-get system itself
doesn't (afaik anyway) and imo shouldn't do it.

For me personally, maintaining this separation of concerns makes it much
easier to understand the systems then if everything can do everything.