Squeak@ECOOP

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Aug 8 08:39:47 UTC 2007

On 23.07.2007, at 12:14, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Squeak Germany e.V. and c-base are inviting for a special Squeak
> BOF event next week:
>
> 	When? 31.07.2007, starting at 19:30
> 	Where? c-base (rungestrasse 20 10179 berlin, Germany, Europe)
> 	More information: http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/222385

> 	http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~denker/misc/c-base-invite.pdf

This then was more a "Dynamic Language Lounge" then a SqueakBOF, but
it was
nice nevertheless. Maybe 10 or so people from ECOOP, mostly the
DYNA07 Workshop
found the way to the c-base, Squeakers, PyPy-Pythoneers and Smalltakers.

We got a nice "tourist tour" to the space-station, with a demo of a
very cool "multi touch table"
they built last winter. Very impressive! Self-build and self-
programed (in Python to the delight
of only some of the visitiors).

All in all ECOOP was quite nice. Good Keynotes: Joe Armstrong on
Erlang ("Smalltalk as it was
meant to be", version 2.0 of his ESUG keynote of last year. Luca
Cardelli on how theory had to
catch up to OO-Practive over 20 years. Slides:
lucacardelli.name/Slides/2007-08-02%20An%20Accidental%20Simula%20User%
20(ECOOP%20Prize).pdf

The trace-based "JIT" compilers of Michael Franz are impressively
simple... ICOOPLS07,
"Andreas Gal, Michael Bebenita, Michael Franz: “One Method At A Time
Is Quite a Waste of Time”"
Very good idea.

And there was some Squeak:

-> Tours and Traps Demo (very nice project!)
	http://ecoop07.swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/demos/d5.html
	http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/projects/tnt/index.html
->  Context Oriented Programming demo von Robert Hirschfeld
(ContextS) and
          Pascal Constanza (ContexL).
      http://www.swa.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/cop/index.html
-> Michael Haupt/Robert Hirschfeld and me:  Position Paper for the
ICOOLPS Workshop
          on Dynamic Typefeedback for Interpreters:
          Slides: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~denker/talks/07ICOOLPS/
07PICsICOOOLPS.pdf
          Paper: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/scgbib.cgi/
abstract=yes?Haup07a
-> Gilad Bracha's DYLA07 paper on Nested Classes in Newspeak
          (the Prototyp is implemented in Squeak) http://
dyla2007.unibe.ch/?download=dyla07-Gilad.pdf
    -> Adrian Kuhn's Collective Behavior (DYLA07):
      http://dyla2007.unibe.ch/?download=Dyla2007-CollectiveBehavior.pdf
    -> Small Demo of The Reflectivity
      http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~denker/talks/07DYLA/
07ReflectivityDylan.pdf
    -> Poster: Modelling Change-based Software Evolution
     Romain Robbes and Michele Lanza (University of Lugano, Switzerland)
     http://ecoop07.swt.cs.tu-berlin.de/posters/p15.html

	Marcus
Marcus Denker  --  denker at iam.unibe.ch
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~denker