OT: Dolphin smalltalk giving up

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 11 23:27:25 UTC 2007

Bill,

I generally agree with you that out-of-the-box, Squeak's feel (and look) are
different than what users are used to. And this is a concern for deploying
applications quickly. We have the unique opportunity to change most of
these "feel" issues to our heart's content. The 'look' is a bit harder, but
can be done, too.

I don't worry too much about the 'feel' because it's easy to change.

Having said that, I agree that it would be nice to have a consistent feel
out-of-the-box for Squeak that travels along all of the releases and bug
fixes.

Maybe we should have a UI team that addresses that issue. That would be one
area that I could help on and would surely join the team. There is
a "Morphic" team, but I don't think they are too active. I wouldn't think the
morphic team addresses the overall concept of Squeak's UI. It may be a
matter of setting some guidelines that can be followed that address we we
collectively agree is the "standard" feel of Squeak. Those guidelines can be
violated, of course, and should be when one wants to go beyond or even invent
a better method (which could then be incorporated into the guidelines.) But,
if developers follow the guidelines, it would keep Squeak UI consistent.

Do guidelines, or some such list, exist today?

brad