Very bad about Squeak in blogosfere

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Aug 12 03:09:20 UTC 2007

On Aug 11, 2007, at 3:15 PM
 From Anonymous on http://factor-language.blogspot.com/2007/08/
smalltalk-is-dying.html:

> One example is that the settings of the GC are tuned for memory
> sizes of about 1 MB.

Yes, but you can change that, but sometimes I think people don't
care, although I think the target size was 16MB  macintosh SE/30s not
1MB.  To be fair VisualWorks had like a 20MB target in the mid/late
90s, mind when those 500MB mission critical VW applications
crashed in a puddle in middle of the floor that always resulted in
extraordinary billing, last minute airline tickets, and nice hotels.

Sadly Squeak applications don't seem to run in those circles. That or
Squeak been sold as a zero cost environment so people think they
don't have to pay anything to anyone to get serious and difficult to
solve problems fixed in the VM or image.

> Don't even get me started about the 1 GB and 120 MB memory issues
> which tend to crash the image.

Well that has been fixed, it was not trivial and took work from
multiple people to fix. No-one paid for it either...
Which in some respects is the heart of the problem, how many people
push that squeak foundation donation button anyway?
Although that would only fund infrastructure support, serious work
requires funding I'm afraid, otherwise what you see will continue.

===