Very bad about Squeak in blogosfere

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Aug 12 08:09:44 UTC 2007

Colin Putney wrote:
> It's stated a bit harshly, but yeah, that sounds basically accurate. The
> amazing thing is that, in spite of all that, Squeak is still such a
> wonderful platform to work with. I do use Squeak in production, and
> there are very few things I would trade it for.

Well, yes, but you can't deny that the guy's got a point. The
frustration he's expressing is something that everyone has felt over the
years. And while there are various plain invalid points in his post
(like the fact that Squeak has bugs - I'm *shocked* to hear that of
course and would have never started three products if I'd known that ;-)
the main emerging point is valid: The lack of quality and maintenance.
The problems he cites are all known, some of them even have fixes but
there isn't enough traction in the community to make this all come
together. And of course the forks don't exactly help because we still
haven't figured out how to share code across the forks and consequently
we have left numerous folks behind in the last versions (3.7: all those
people who don't want m17n; 3.8: all those people who don't want traits)
and absolutely no way (and interest) in re-integrating those forks. And
as a result, you'll have the effect that Croquet has tons of bugs fixed
but nobody knows it (because I don't care about peddling the goods). And
I'm pretty sure the same goes for Sophie or Seaside or OLPC or any other
serious project.

Leveraging those projects is what Squeak.org today is really, REALLY
terrible at. But it is where the majority of Squeak production code gets
written so if you want to get those fixes and enhancements that happen
in these projects you need to find a ways of integrating them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas