Mod operator?

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Tue Aug 14 18:02:11 UTC 2007

> >> For such questions, it is best to use the method finder:
> >> - Open method finder (world menu -> open -> method finder)
> >> - enter a mod expression ( such as 7 . 3 . 1 ) and hit enter
> >> - method finder gives several answers. Two of them are what you
> >>   are looking for
> >>
> > ****WOW****!! That's just magic!
> >
> > I can't believe that I'm still finding more incredible features in
> > Squeak after spending a couple of years immersed in it.
>
> Indeed. And because many are unaware of these features they
> get broken regularly. I think the list of "safe" selectors to
> try wasn't updated in ages, although there were many
> additions to the base system that could be found using the
> method finder.
>
> - Bert -

You know, I've been surprised by many features in Squeak that I was unaware
of and only learned about by accident.  The method finder example above was
one such feature.  Others were things like..

  * any method can be used as a template for a new method simply by editing
it's name in the method pane
  * any classes declaration can do the same, changing the name will create a
new class
  * you can drag and drop methods between method categories, but also
between classes
  * using eCompletion, ctrl + space when typing a method definition name
pulls up a list of superclass methods and pressing tab will write the
default method override with the super send.
  * many context menus have a "more..." option, which can be accessed
directly by shift + click rather than just click, very useful.
  * pressing the question mark (twice) between instance and class  gives a
great class hierarchy view where you can see all the instances variables for
each class, extremely useful for understanding a hierarchy and not
immediately obvious.
  * for the longest time, I didn't realize that inspectors actually let you
edit instance variable values just by alt + s to accept the change, I
thought they were just viewers, not editors.

I'm curious what features others have run across that surprised them, or are
really cool that I haven't yet discovered?  Anyone?

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk