Package Universes and Squeakmap

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 07:31:20 UTC 2007

On 8/18/07, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> In the development universe the package Magma Tester beta, r40Beta.3 is
> posted as a Monticello Configuration Map (.mcm)

I still don't understand why.  Why does Magma Tester beta need to be
an MCM instead of a universe?  What is the MCM doing that the universe
can't?

> If you load this into a 3.10 image, it will load
> MonticelloConfigurations, loading this depends upon a file in which will
> patch Monticello1 (trivially), and it will patch Universes (almost
> trivially) in order that mcm's will work.
>
> So, in order to post your mcm package all you need to do is to add
> MonticelloConfigurations as a dependency.
>
> cheers
>
> Keith

This seems to me like patching apt-get to accept RPM configurations to
describe dependencies.  I would personally rather see a patch that can
read MCM and convert it to Universe configuration.