Package Universes

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 19 03:41:49 UTC 2007

On 17 Aug 2007 17:33:15 -0400, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org> wrote:

> Anyway, I plan to add a link to the SqueakMap entry.  SqueakMap seems
> like a more appropriate place to add all the bits of meta-data you
> might ever want, including authorship and time stamps.

Would it be possible to use the SqueakMap entry as a pointer to the
source?  Some package maintainers have stopped updating their SM entry
and just use PU.  This is a shame, since SM is the nearest thing we
have to a catalog of the entire Squeak universe.  But I can see that
people don't want to keep two systems in synch.  If PU could refer to
the SM entry then perhaps they could just update their SM entry and
get the PU entry updated for free.

> > > 1. Packages should have information such as purpose and maintainer.
> > >    At the moment there seems to be no such information. Instead it is
> > > repeated for every version of the package.
>
> The maintainer and description can and do change asn time goes on, so
> it seems better to relist them for each version.

But people tend to not bother copying the description, so it can be
hard to find.

> Most of the time, anyway, you are only interested in the most recent
> version of a package.

One thing that is annoying about PU is all the old versions.  I wish
maintainers would delete the old versions when they put in the new.

-Ralph