Squeak-dev is not a fork

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:16:34 UTC 2007

19 Aug 2007 12:16:57 -0400, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org>:
> "Damien Cassou" <damien.cassou at gmail.com> writes:
> > I've heard many times that squeak-dev is yet another fork of Squeak.
> > It's NOT the case from my point of view because:
> >
> > - squeak-dev is built on top of the last squeak release and beta versions
> > - there is not a single patch applied in squeak-dev
> > - it's only an aggregation of already existing packages that anyone
> > can load in his base image
>
> I did not realize you felt this way, but it is nice to hear.  How do
> you square this view, though, with your recent inclusion of the
> Monticello 1.5 patches?  These patches change the core image so much
> that their author says the word "patch" is not an adequate word to
> describe them.

I don't think including Monticello1.5 in future squeak-dev releases
can be seen as a patch to Squeak. This is because, for me, Monticello
is just a package. If an enhanced version, maintained by someone
interested, is available, I would like people to start using it to
discover bugs. However, Monticello1.5 currently has a bug which
prevents me from releasing a new squeak-dev based on it.

--
Damien Cassou