UI Discussions and possible UI Team

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Aug 21 15:43:45 UTC 2007

On 21-Aug-07, at 8:30 AM, Brad Fuller wrote:

> I thought about that. But, I feel that user interface issues go beyond
> morphic. There is also MVC (don't know who uses it today, though)
> and native
> hooks such as wxSqueak. My first suggestion to the group was to
> decide on UI
> heuristics or guidelines that applications would follow to help
> make Squeak
> more consistent for the user. Some agreed, some didn't say anything.

Morphic  - or bitblt, or ffi calls to directXplode, or plugin calls
to Cairo - are implementation of graphics. UI is the *use* of both
graphics and input information to provide the user environment. I
guess one ought to include sound as well as graphics to be more
complete. Haptics might even come into the picture sometime.

I think a good discussion of UI would be very useful. The current UI
in squeak is almost as bad as most other systems; time to improve it.

tim
Close your eyes and press escape three times.