TimeZone setup, as simple as possible

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Aug 22 01:35:09 UTC 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 12:23:54PM +0200, Janko Miv??ek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just going through the challenge to set a local timezone correctly
> and I'm wondering why there is no something as simple as:
>
> 	TimeZone setLocal: 'CET'
>
> to set my timezone?

Janko,

That is a very good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I added #setLocal:
to the TimeZoneDatabase package so you be able to do this.

Squeak does not use time zone tables, nor does it query the operating
system for this information. This works well enough for most users,
and it is very simple, which is a good thing.

If you want to have correct time zone information, you can load either
Chronos or TimeZoneDatabase from SqueakMap, and this will be added.

I added your #setLocal: method to the TimeZoneDatabase package, so if
you update your SqueakMap and load TimeZoneDatabase into your image,
you will be able to evaluate "TimeZone setLocal: 'CET'".

Dave