Making distro package for my GLMorphic package

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 09:50:40 UTC 2007

Hello everybody!

My work which replaces squeak rendering mechanisms to use HW
accelerated OpenGL instead of memory blitting attained interest of
more and more people.
Some of you asking to publish a code to be able to play with it.

But there's a problem:

my code works only, if VM contains GLPlugin internal plugin (and
currently runs only on Windows, because i need to port plugin code to
other platforms).

To build plugin you need a C source files (platform dependent code)
and VMMaker, but i don't know how to publish C sources with my
packages.
I was directed to use SAR packages, but i never used them before and
don't know what tools i need to make them. I know that they are just
.zip files, just with special conventions - where i can read tutorial
how to make this package? Can i use them with Monticello and place on
squeaksource?

There are couple of ways, how i can distribute my code:

- accompany my code with C source files, so people can build own VM
with GLPlugin
- accompany with pre-built DLL as external plugin
- place pre-built VM executable on some site.

And final notes about plugin:
its a small piece of code which enables use GL rendering context for
main squeak window.
There's only 4 primitive functions in it!

Current VM already links GL libraries by default, and already having
primitives to create GL rendering contexts, but only for new OS
windows. I wonder why there's no support for main window and i was
forced to write this code myself. It would be nice (in future maybe)
to add my code to SurfacePlugin core platform VM files, so no extra
plugin will be required.

Also, i tried to plugin build it as external DLL, but since my plugin
using GL, it requires to be linked with opengl library. And without
modifications of make files which using for building plugins this is
not possible.
Anyways, I think its overkill to link with GL twice, since main
executable already uses it, so its better to make plugin internal.

Since we all are lazy i doubt that there many people who will to spend
their time building new VM just to be able to try my hacks and i think
i must provide an option to download binaries from somewhere. But i
don't know where i can place them to make available to all of you :)
Is there are place for hosting in squeak community where i can put my
pre-built VM executable, so people can try it with GLMorphic?

Also, i would be glad if someone will help me porting code to other
platforms. There's really not much to code, only 4 functions.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.