Making distro package for my GLMorphic package

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 10:35:29 UTC 2007

On 23/08/07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Igor -
>
> Igor Stasenko wrote:
> > My work which replaces squeak rendering mechanisms to use HW
> > accelerated OpenGL instead of memory blitting attained interest of
> > more and more people.
> > Some of you asking to publish a code to be able to play with it.
>
> Nice job. I'm looking forward to giving this a try.
>
> > There are couple of ways, how i can distribute my code:
> >
> > - accompany my code with C source files, so people can build own VM
> > with GLPlugin
> > - accompany with pre-built DLL as external plugin
> > - place pre-built VM executable on some site.
>
> All of them are fine choices. I think you should start with a binary
> that allows people to try out things just for curiosity and also provide
> the source code for those who want to have a closer look.

Fine, i can upload then at the moment, just say me where :)
I used sourceforge before, but it takes too much time to register
project, manage it and upload files which conform they rules. I just
need to put file to be able for downloading by anyone. Can you
recommend me where i can do this without messing with gory details
such as registering, filling tons of forms e.t.c.?

> > Current VM already links GL libraries by default, and already having
> > primitives to create GL rendering contexts, but only for new OS
> > windows. I wonder why there's no support for main window and i was
> > forced to write this code myself. It would be nice (in future maybe)
> > to add my code to SurfacePlugin core platform VM files, so no extra
> > plugin will be required.
>
> The problem with this approach (and the reason why something like has
> not been supported for generic 3D rendering and likely never will be) is
> that you can't change the pixel format of a window once it is set. In
> other words, the first bit of code that sets a pixel format freezes that
> once and forever. That's a *huge* issue for use in real life situations
> where you need to be able to change pixel formats for different
> rendering targets.

Well, currently i don't care about pixel format :)
I'm using rigid format , 24bpp + stencil + accum buffer + choice -
double buffering or single buffering.
If platform can't give me such format, it just silently fails and user
left with default squeak software blitting.
I built my code in such way, that you must run command to enable GL
rendering and you can always fall back to default software blitting.

> > Also, i tried to plugin build it as external DLL, but since my plugin
> > using GL, it requires to be linked with opengl library. And without
> > modifications of make files which using for building plugins this is
> > not possible.
>
> Oh, but it is. Check out platforms/win32/plugins/FloatMathPlugin and
> platforms/win32/plugins/MPEG3Plugin which both have non-standard
> Makefiles. If you take the MPEG3Plugin as an outline it is trivial to
> add the appropriate libraries to the makedll link target.

Thanks, lets see if i can do own makefile, then i can distribute just
.dll with my packages. Of course, this is waste of system resources,
but fine choice to download and run for people who don't want/care to
run with different VM executable.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.