Squeak-dev Digest, Vol 56, Issue 31

Heiko Schroeder heikos28 at volny.cz
Fri Aug 24 14:24:18 UTC 2007

Am Freitag, 24. August 2007 00:09 schrieb Lex Spoon
> I believe there is room for a community-maintained version of Squeak
> on Unix.

Hi Lex,

I agree with you. But is it necessary to *install* Squeak even for a single
user? It seemed to me also before you wrote it in the mail  that some of you
guys work very hard to Squeak run under Unix / Linux.

As far as the installation process is concerned: would it be a good idea to
drop some lines on the category installation on the website? Then it need not
to be necessary that specific differences for the package on different
distributions have to be described in the package itself. Since it is deeply
recommended to use inisqueak, and since you get this information even on the
net (not from the Squeak-site), it will be a great help for newbies to have a
place at the site where to look up the correct hints.

Yes, I know that *squeak* succeeds if you do not have *inisqueak* under
SuSE-Linux. Thanks anyway. But hopefully the work for the Unix versions is
not that hard, that one day the community will only emphasize on Mac or the
OS lookalike  Windows ;-).

Best regards
Heiko
--