DeltaStreams small update

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Aug 24 06:35:29 UTC 2007

Hi guys!

First - about file format(s) - I really don't think it is a key issue but
I personally would prefer something very simple. But not hardwiring a
specific format into the code seems a smart move.

And also - I am not close to fileout/in yet anyway. ;)

[SNIP]
> DeltaStreams, on disk, could be large. Especially if used as a kind of
> finer
> grained .changes file. Quickly scanning the file to find 'interesting'
> entries, without deserializing the whole file into memory, would be
> useful.

Again, I was thinking KISS. A stream is a directory of deltas. A delta is
a gzipped file of a readable format with a name that has a number prefix
so that the files have an order in the directory.

Lots of small files? Sure. A problem? I presume not with modern filesystems.

We can also just zip up such a directory if we like.

regards, Göran