pipe

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Aug 26 04:25:33 UTC 2007

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 13:07:45 -0700, Hans-Martin Mosner <hmm at heeg.de> wrote:

> Another thing is that code interchange between different Smalltalk
> implementations is something that should not be jeopardized lightly.
> When packages use implementation idiosyncrasies, they are less likely to
> be ported.

Which is at odds with Squeak as experimental platform.  I'm not sold on
pipes in particular and I'm very opposed to clutter in general, but if we
can come up with features that significantly reduce code we should embrace
them without too much concern for portability.

I seem to recall Alan suggesting that the quantity of code in the Squeak
base could be reduced by an order of magnitude (from 50K to 5K?). That's a
goal well worth pursuing, and other Smalltalks would follow suit were
Squeak to succeed.