pipe

Jason Johnson jason.johnson.081 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 15:39:23 UTC 2007

On 8/26/07, Fabio Filasieno <fabio.filasieno at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was a bit provocative because, I don't like the cascade and wanted to show
> that you most of the time you could do with out it ... getting more out of
> smalltalk ...

There was no need to be provocative, and there is no need to get rid
of the cascade operator.  You don't like it, but it still provides
something that requires temporary variables to duplicate without it.

You state that it isn't needed because most of the message sends
return self anyway, and this may in fact be true.  But it might also
be wrong.  The cascade operator is a guarantee; I don't have to worry
*what* the message send returns because I know the other messages I'm
cascading go to the original object no matter what.

Coming from a functional background, I'm sure you can appreciate the
value of such a guarantee. :)

> Please, this is really unfair. Nobody ever blamed anybody.  We are just
> having a good chat. My point was : the cascade operator sucks the pipe
> rocks, and I've shown IMHO why it's better. And I love any critic I can get.
>
> Fabio Filasieno

Your aggressive language comes off as blame, etc.  And please stop
saying "the cascade operator sucks".  It's pure opinion and utterly
irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not  we need a "pipe"
statement delimiter.