pipe

Vassili Bykov smalltalkbigot at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 00:35:07 UTC 2007

Looking back at the number of messages in this thread, I figured I'd
contribute a straw man implementation instead of adding to the
polemics. The operator used for piping is :>, i.e.

  (1 to: 10) select: [:x | x odd] :> collect: [:x | x factorial]

which doesn't conflict with any syntactically valid messages, is
reasonably suggestive and easy to type as both characters are shifted
and are close to each other. Most importantly, it looks like a smiley
thus improving user-friendliness.

Of course, it's quite easy to change the Scanner to recognize pretty
much anything else as the #pipe token.

Cheers,

--Vassili