Linux desktop manager Close Window is dangerous.

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Aug 28 00:58:46 UTC 2007

On Aug 27, 2007, at 16:38 , Brad Fuller wrote:

> Before I dig into this, I bet someone has already investigated this
> and
> decided it can't be done. When you close the Squeak with the desktop
> manager's "Close Window" (the "X"), squeak closes without a
> confirmation
> dialog. Windows has an "Are you sure?" and I expect the Mac version
> does too.
> Why not Linux?

It would add considerably to the complexity of the X11 VM - Xlib does
not provide a dialog box call, whereas Win and Mac libraries do.

You could try to write it using Xlib calls, which would involve
laying out text, drawing a button, having another event loop etc. No
fun, besides you would get complains that it does not follow the
user's desktop theme or native language. Or you could make the VM
depend on GTK or KDE which we have avoided so far.

- Bert -