Pipe syntax and the current methods

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Thu Aug 30 00:46:44 UTC 2007

On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 00:49:22 -0700, Fabio Filasieno
<fabio.filasieno at gmail.com> wrote:

>> ... the *language* part is actually not all that important.
> No it is. And you know it. It's very very important.

But it misses the point. When you talk about most languages, you're JUST
talking about the language. That's all there is. Yeah, these days you also
get a VM for a lot of languages but it's a separate beast.

You can't discuss, e.g., changing C's syntax and still be talking about C.
You can discuss--well, discussions have been had about doing Etoys in
Python. You could do all of Squeak in Python, probably, or another dynamic
language (perhaps with some minor adjustments) and a remarkably large
percentage of the discussion would not change.

I love the Smalltalk syntax and would put it up against any other
language, but it's more important that you can change it if you don't.