Morphic 3.0: The future of the Gui

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 06:24:56 UTC 2007

On 30/08/2007, Joshua Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
> Squeak currently includes a fisheye morph that provides a distorted
> view of what is underneath it.  What you have written sounds like it
> would not support such morphs.  If I'm misunderstanding you, could
> you try to restate your thought to give me another chance to understand?

Well, i think you understood correctly. Morph can't rely on results of
previous drawings.
There are some morphs, like magnifying lens which use current state of
screen to draw effects.
But suppose that you rendering a lens morph in PostScript file, or on
canvas which translates drawings to the network, or you using a HUGE
drawing surface which simply cannot fit in operative memory. This is a
simple reasons why morph should not access any current state.
To get around the problem you can, instead redraw a portion of world
using your own (applied before redrawing) transformations/effects.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.