pipe

Fabio Filasieno fabio.filasieno at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 09:02:35 UTC 2007

On Aug 30, 2007, at 5:21 AM, Alan Kay wrote:

> But consider the Internet as a real object oriented system ...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> -------------

I knew that you would say that.
I wrote a sentence in a previous post: "but Alan Kay would consider
this a step backward. Not a step forward". But than I said no, I'll
not send that.

And I always had in mind your voice saying: "no no no: It's not what
I have in mind."

on the other hand ....

On Aug 25, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Alan Kay wrote:

> And so would pipes. They provide a syntactical way of writing very
> useful sequences of processing that is much nicer than functional
> application syntax (which gives a difficult to read "backwards
> view"), and Haskell did absolutely the right thing in making an
> operator for this.

With objects AND the pipe we could have some of the qualities of an
extensional system (features for free, less bloat) while keeping
internet as real object oriented system (a rich system).
Some times a dumb object might be alright: for example when
developing services, for instance when there is the need to talk with
others (non-Smalltalk) as in real-life this happens.
Many times a rich object can do better: to get out rich media.

Do you see the pipe as useful or it is against object orientation ?
It's not very clear to me what is your opinion on this matter, and it
very important to me.

I think it's better to have it. At least I can have a choice. Rich
object oriented system as often as possible. But practicality when
practicality matters most.

Fabio