Squeak on Nintendo ES OS

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Dec 4 07:54:21 UTC 2007

> >I saw this article on osnews.com
> >http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18986/Nintendos-ES-Operating-System
> >There is even a screenshot of it running Squeak:
> >http://nes.sourceforge.jp/screenshot.html
>
> Anyone know more about this.  Performance?  Ease of install?

  Hmm... I don't know about the performance on a real DS (I don't know
if somebody outside of Nintendo can install it to a real DS.  In fact,
I only suspect that they made it run on DS but have not seen the real
evidence.)  The version that works on QEMU, as well as the version
that runs as an OS are available.  In that regard, installation to a
Windows computer seems to be easy.

  The aim of their research is to make a new component-based operating
system.  Each system call is done via C++ virtual function call via
interface objects (but doesn't have to do COM-style query).  The call
is "introspected" so that the arguments are checked upon each call,
and allows call back from a system call to the user component, etc.

  Squeak is an interesting application to port to a new OS, of course.

-- Yoshiki