Squeak on Nintendo ES OS

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Dec 4 10:04:30 UTC 2007

  Bert,

> >   Hmm... I don't know about the performance on a real DS (I don't know
> > if somebody outside of Nintendo can install it to a real DS.  In fact,
> > I only suspect that they made it run on DS but have not seen the real
> > evidence.)  The version that works on QEMU, as well as the version
> > that runs as an OS are available.  In that regard, installation to a
> > Windows computer seems to be easy.
> >
> >   The aim of their research is to make a new component-based operating
> > system.  Each system call is done via C++ virtual function call via
> > interface objects (but doesn't have to do COM-style query).  The call
> > is "introspected" so that the arguments are checked upon each call,
> > and allows call back from a system call to the user component, etc.
> >
> >   Squeak is an interesting application to port to a new OS, of course.
>
> Where does it mention running on a Nintendo DS? All I see are
> references to an x86 version ...

  Not anywhere.  I wrote I suspect it.  But I have a feeling that I
have read a blog entry by somebody who attended the workshop at which
they presented the paper (available on the web) and asked about that.
Can't really remember what the answer was like.  (the answer could
have been "no".)

-- Yoshiki