Process>>terminate woes

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Dec 4 23:17:58 UTC 2007

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> I vote for VM changes.
> First, i think, we should consider, what makes Process (and all
> connected to it) so fragile to concurrency issues, and redesign them
> to simply make such things impossible to appear.

Good luck with that ;-) Seriously, I don't think it's fair to say
processes are "fragile by design"; these problems are bugs more than
they are design issues.

> All these dirty hacks and additional guard code only shows that the
> original design have flaws and best way to improve it is to change it,
> instead of patching again and again and making things even more
> fragile.

I wouldn't call what I'm proposing a "dirty hack" - it's rather what I
think primitiveSuspend really *ought* to do. The primitive is (and
always was in my understanding) incomplete in this respect.

Cheers,
   - Andreas