License rewrite

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun Dec 9 01:03:56 UTC 2007

Hi Hilaire--

 > What about the free software foundation, may be they can provide input
 > in a quicker way.

      Well, I'll bring up that suggestion again at the next Squeak
leadership meeting (on 2007-12-19), but we weren't keen on it the last
time. The main nice thing about joining the Software Freedom Conservancy
is it will give us ongoing access to legal counsel and a tax-exempt
donation mechanism, without having to administer it ourselves (and with
the ability to start our own completely independent organization later
if we desire). Also, the community has so far reached consensus around
an MIT-style license, and not the GPL or LGPL, so I suspect the FSF
wouldn't be quite so interested in us.

      No one is happy with how long this is taking (and it really began
several years ago with the first serious conversations between
Viewpoints and Apple), but the leadership still agrees that we should
continue on this path.

      For what it's worth, I have been very encouraged by my recent
exchanges with the Conservancy. I'd like to thank everyone again for
their patience. Realistically, I think the next Squeak leadership
elections (in February 2008) will be the next time to consider another
approach, should one be necessary.

      thanks again,

-C

--