where to get "Sources" for squeak 3.10

Michael Davies mykdavies+squeak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 11:06:12 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 10:32 AM, Karl <karl.ramberg at comhem.se> wrote:
> I have updated the http://www.squeak.org/Download page.
> What do you think ?
>
> Karl

Karl,

Having read a number of newbie comments in the lists and on IRC
recently, I think one on-going source of confusion for new starters
with Squeak is how to install it, and what they've installed - new
users download "something" and then agitated when it "doesn't work" or
doesn't behave in the same way as their tutorial says it should.
Reading the download page, I think it's possible to make this a little
clearer by expanding the text at the top of the page, before
instructing readers to start downloading.

I've tried putting together a concise but clear explanation below.
What do you think?

Michael

===Download===

To use Squeak, you need to have three things:
- the VM (Virtual Machine) for your operating system. This is the
executable that allows Squeak code to run identically on many
platforms.
- the Sources file. Sources are used when viewing source code; you can
use Squeak without it, but you will not see variable names, version
history and comments!
- an Image file. This holds all the code that you will use and
develop; there are many Image files available, and you can install and
run many different images with the same VM and Sources files.

If you are new to Squeak you can just download the latest stable
release from the download box on the right.

If you are following a tutorial[[link to tutorials page]] or other
reference work, this may rely on you working with a specific image.
You can do so by copying the recommended image into your squeak
directory and double-clicking to launch it.

While your download is in progress you might want to have a look at
the Installation page which contains links to platform specific
installation instructions.