where to get "Sources" for squeak 3.10

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Mon Dec 10 13:03:58 UTC 2007

Hello Michael,

3.9 is the only one which can do without a changes file which will
change as soon as we will have an official 3.9.1.

So in this light and not confusing the newbies you are right.

But already the part about possibly needing another image to follow a
tutorial will not do without a changes file.

Trying to combine these informations in a single text I end up with
something I would not want to present to newbies.

So I'd suggest writing a text about the usual 4 files and adding that
_only_ standard 3.9 will come without changes and create them as soon
as necessary.

And double click on the image doesn't work in Win.

Otherwise I'm all for it.

See my attempt below. And somebody please verify I'm right about the
changes.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net

> ===Download===
>
> To use Squeak, you need to have three things:
... have four .....
> - the VM (Virtual Machine) for your operating system. This is the
> executable that allows Squeak code to run identically on many
> platforms.
> - the Sources file. Sources are used when viewing source code; you can
> use Squeak without it, but you will not see variable names, version
> history and comments!
> - an Image file. This holds all the code that you will use and
> develop; there are many Image files available, and you can install and
> run many different images with the same VM and Sources files.
- a changes file. Changes are used to record every change to the
image since the creation of the sources file, including your changes.
Changes and Image always have to come in pairs. Only the standard 3.9
distribution will come without a changes file. Squeak will create it
on the first change you make.

> If you are new to Squeak you can just download the latest stable
> release from the download box on the right.
>
> If you are following a tutorial[[link to tutorials page]] or other
> reference work, this may rely on you working with a specific image.
> You can do so by copying the recommended image into your squeak
... the recommended image _plus_ the accompanying changes into .....
> directory and double-clicking to launch it.
directory and drag it on the VM to launch it.