Implementing closures

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Dec 20 16:30:05 UTC 2007

Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Well at a quick look it appears plausible - but I have a much simpler
> idea. Eliot solved this problems in 1987 - in fact I *think* he was
> the first so to do but wouldn't bet any large amount of money - and
> the basics are described in his seminal paper from the 87 OOPSLa
> proceedings.

Well, I solved this problem by accident in 1984:

http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/st84.txt

I didn't pay enough attention to the blue book and never considered the
possibility that Smalltalk-80 didn't have full closures. Of course,
since nobody was able to use my design Eliot's should be considered as
the first. Though the text in the above link says this was just a "paper
design", the main ideas were actually tested in a program writetn in
TI99/4A Extended BASIC.

-- Jecel